Nationalism and Language Reform in China
by John DeFrancis
Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950.Search bookstores for this title.
- Tens against Thousands
- The West Shows the Way
Nationalism: Unity through Uniformity
- Beginnings of Interest in Reform
- One State, One People, One Language sample chapter
Nationalism: Unity in Diversity
- The Influence of the Soviet Union
- New Languages for a Federated China
Linguistic Dogma and Linguistic Science
- Linguistic Method
- The Monosyllabic Myth
- The Problem of Tones
- What Can Be Alphabetized?
- Dialects or Languages?
- What Kind of Script?
The Script as a Problem of Nationalism
- Language and Nationalism
- The Script and National Unity
- The Script and National Progress
- Characters for Bibliography
- Characters for Footnotes