Recommended romanization-related books in English
Those who want to go directly to the readings themselves, rather than browse through the tables of contents of the books below to find the sample chapters and other excerpts, can jump to the list of readings available on this site.
- Chao Yuen Ren (Y.R. Chao, Zhao Yuanren)
- Readings in Sayable Chinese sample chapter
- The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy (1984) sample chapter
- Colonialism and Language Policy in Viet Nam (1977)
- Nationalism and Language Reform in China (1950) sample chapter
- Visible Speech: The Diverse Oneness of Writing Systems (1989) sample chapter
- DeFrancis, John (ed.)
Erbaugh, Mary S. (ed.)
- Difficult Characters: Interdisciplinary Studies of Chinese and Japanese Writing (2002) sample chapter
Hannas, Wm. C.
- The Writing on the Wall: How Asian Orthography Curbs Creativity (2003) sample section
- Asia's Orthographic Dilemma (1997) sample chapter
Kennedy, George A.
- The Selected Works of George A. Kennedy (1964) sample chapter
- Mair, Victor H. (ed.)
Mair, Victor H. and Yongquan Liu (eds.)
- Characters and Computers (1991) sample chapter
Packard, Jerome L.
- The Morphology of Chinese: A Linguistic and Cognitive Approach (2000) sample chapter
Unger, J. Marshall
- The Fifth Generation Fallacy: Why Japan Is Betting Its Future on Artificial Intelligence (1987) sample chapter
- Literacy and Script Reform in Occupation Japan: Reading Between the Lines (1996) sample chapter
- Ideogram: Chinese Characters and the Myth of Disembodied Meaning (2003) sample chapter
Yin Binyong and Mary Felley
- Chinese Romanization: Pronunciation and Orthography (1990) sample sections
- The Historical Evolution of Chinese Languages and Scripts (2003) sample sections